Ramble Bowl of Fire in the Lake Mead National Recreation Area
What you get
Spend 3-4 hours exploring the Mojave Desert in Bowl of Fire
100% private tour for up to 4 (no others will be booked with you)
A ramble at your own pace; fast, slow or anywhere in between
Get off the trail!
Scenic drive through the Lake Mead National Recreation Area
Isolation. Beauty of both Red Rock Canyon and Valley of Fire
but you'll rarely see another hiker here
Picked up and dropped off at your hotel or air bnb
What you don't get
Piled into a hot van with people you don't know
Hike at the same rate and see the same things as those same people
Stay on the trail!
Remember, this is your boutique, customized hike but this will give you an idea.
- After the booking we’ll contact you to verify pick up time. This is usually between 8am and 9am but will be earlier during the hotter time of the year.
- We’ll pick up your group and head out to Bowl of Fire in the Lake Mead National Recreation Area.
- Depending on where you’re staying, it will be about an hour drive there and an hour drive back.
- You’ll get set up with a backpack, water and hiking pole if wanted.
- We’ll take a ¾ mile hike up a broad canyon, +400’ elevation change. This is typically the most strenuous part of the hike but we’ll pause for rest and water whenever needed.
- Be on the lookout for bighorn sheep.
- Enter Bowl of Fire and start exploring!
- The hike lasts about 3-4 hours.
- We’ll turn around and head back down the canyon.
- You should plan on the whole trip lasting about 5-6 hours from pick up to drop off.
- Backpack to carry your water and other supplies
- Hiking pole
- Snacks to keep you fueled up for ramblin’
- Water, water and some more water
First, what not to wear: please do not wear flip flops, sandals or any other open toed shoes. Trust us. You will not have a fun trip.
We recommend hiking boots or good sturdy tennis shoes as a minimum. The sandstone can be slippery so you want something with good traction.
Either shorts or pants are fine and if you sunburn easily you may want a hat and long sleeve shirt.
There is about a .75 mile hike to get up into the bowl. We’ll go up a broad dry canyon with an elevation gain of around 400′. We will be in what is a dry creek bed for most of it which will involve maneuvering medium to large rocks. Depending on what you choose to do later, this is typically the most strenuous part of the hike. The key of course is that we go at your pace, lot’s of stops if needed.
Once into the Bowl of Fire, the terrain is fairly flat. There are many places to get up into the dunes, some easily and some with more exertion. We’ll choose the path that looks the most fun and meets your comfort level.
Any intermediate hiker will do fine on this hike. If you are below that level, realize that there will be a semi strenuous hike for the first mile and a minimum of another two to three depending on how far you want to go.
If you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact us. We’ll see what we can do to accommodate your perfect hike!
Yes! There are a number of things you can enjoy. Some people like to find a private spot and meditate or do a little yoga. You can do some rock scrambling or photography. If you have something in mind, let us know. We will try to accommodate.
There definitely is. It just depends on how much noise we make. Lizards are abundant. Don’t worry though, they stay under the bushes. There’s an occasional rabbit or coyote but the fun ones to see are the desert bighorn sheep.
We love kids and think it would be great to have them along. We trust that you know their limits and what they’re capable of out on the trail. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask.
- Out of the three major areas to explore the amazing Aztec Sandstone, Bowl of Fire is the only one that you will have all to yourself. Yes, that is correct. We rarely run into other hikers out there.
- We’ll say it again: Isolation and solitude! You’ll have a nice respite from those packed casinos, clubs, shows and pools.
Stuff happens. We know. With 24 hours notice we will refund you 100% but we can’t make any refund after that time. If something comes up please communicate. We will do what we can to work around issues.